Poppy and Lindsay
7-24-06
Mike and Lindsay
7-24-06
A couple of my favorite pictures from that first amazing day.
The day that changed our lives forever.
Nothing changes your life more than having a child.
Whether it's through adoption or giving birth yourself.
Lindsay's Birth Story
It was an unusually HOT summer. HOT.
I did not have the most pleasant pregnancy. I vomited and was nauseous from the first day to the last.
Every day.
Lindsay's actual due date was August 5th. I was scheduled to deliver her by c-section July 28th.
At my last doctor visit I urged my doctor to deliver sooner if at all possible. Not only was I sick, I had some other very uncomfortable issues that were prohibiting me from sleeping and sitting comfortably (so not pretty). At my visit on Friday, July 21st...he agreed to push my c-section up to the 24th...hallelujah!!!
Mike and I were nervous and very excited.
The day prior to my delivery was my sister-in-law's baby shower. It was a fun way to pass the time...but let me just say again...it was HOT.
Mike and I went to California Pizza Kitchen for our "last supper" as a family of two.
I of course did not sleep very well that night. We had to check in at the hospital at 5:30am. I awoke at 4am to take a shower...though I really don't think I slept.
We headed out around 5am. We arrived at the hospital and realized we forgot the cord blood kit. Our plan was to save the blood from Lindsay's umbilical cord...in the case something were to come up in the future (God forbid). Mike scooted home as quickly to retrieve the forgotten kit.
I distinctly remember having to sit up in the hospital bed and complete a T-O-N of paperwork. I was soooo uncomfortable and could barely breathe...ugh! Lindsay was positioned very high...and was hogging all my breathing capacity. I finished the task...and was happy to recline a bit so I could catch my breath.
Lindsay's Godmother Noreen (one of my very best friends) arrived. She was allowed to be in the operating room for the delivery. We wanted someone who could take photos and capture all the special moments...someone other than the parents to be.
Mike also returned with the forgotten kit.
Dr. Naghi popped in to say hello and asked if we had any questions.
He explained everything...so kindly I might add. He put our minds at ease about the procedure. He was as excited as we were.
My dad was there, as well as my stepmother Kathy and my Aunt Camille.
The anesthesiologist stopped in to gather some info. of his own.
Next thing I knew...we were headed to the O.R.
I really was not nervous about having surgery...truly not nervous at all. They placed my spinal in and had me lay back. I was numb so quickly.
Mike and Noreen came to my side and then it was show time.
The procedure went sooooo fast. I looked at the clock and it was 7:45...she was born at 7:58.
It wasn't painful or uncomfortable. Throughout the entire procedure Dr. Naghi kept asking how I was and telling us what was happening...perhaps that is what made me so calm. Or maybe it was that I had such confidence in him.
On a side note...no one knew the sex of the baby but me...so for everyone it was a surprise...which was so fun! I wish I had the nerve to wait...but when offered the information...I took it! No one even knew that I knew. hehehehehhehe.
At last they pulled our precious Lindsay from my stomach, I was finally able to breathe...Literally I let out an "ahhhhhhh". I couldn't really see anything. Mike went over to where she was and Noreen was snapping the first photos...so special.
Then all hell broke loose...I started getting this pain in my right armpit...and it was getting more intense...I was discussing it with the anesthesiologist...who was right next to me the entire procedure. During this episode, the nurse brought Lindsay around for me to see. She was all wrapped in those warm hospital receiving blankets with just her tiny face exposed...heaven. The nurse handed her to Mike. My pain was becoming even more intense. Which was causing me to panic and squirm a bit...so the team decided to knock me out. Now that I think back...I am so happy it was just a simple nerve issue...it could have been so much worse.
From what I understand, when they clamp off arteries while they are operating and sometimes when the blood backs up it triggers a nerve pain under your arm.
The next thing I remember is waking up in the recovery room. Feeling very groggy, numb and extremely nauseous (which I was accustomed to feeling for the last 10 months).
People were stopping in to congratulate me as I was in my groggy state.
Mike was off giving the first bath...and my personal photographer was capturing it all on film.
I was finally able to move my legs on my own...which is a requisite to move my private room.
My cousin had a hospital hook up, so she was able to swing us a room similar in size to a hotel suite...we scored...and that was key...because we were going to be there for a 4 days.
When arriving at my room I became extremely nauseous and began to vomit (I know lovely right). There were numerous friends and family there, waiting to see our new arrival and enjoy our special time. Since I was laying on my back...when I went to vomit...I began to choke...I have never choked so violently in my life...it was REALLY scary. The nurses were rushed to my side and were concerned I would rupture my stitches...I was concerned I wouldn't survive.
It was a bit chaotic for a few minutes, until I was able to catch my breath and calm down.
Quickly after that lovely episode they wheeled my new sweet bundle into the room.
I was still really weak, nauseous and groggy...but I held her briefly and examined all her features. She was so sweet and pretty...I felt so blessed.
I quickly handed her off to various family and friends while I rested.
It was a really long day.
When evening arrived I felt a little stronger and was able to sit up a bit and hold her.
I couldn't believe she was here...and she was ours!!!
Phone calls were pouring in, flowers and gits were arriving, and the excitement was one which I will never forget.
I loved seeing my dad holding Lindsay.
I loved watching Mike with her.
It truly was JOY!
I enjoyed every visit, from every friend and family member during that time.
I was so touched by the joy and love the people in our life had for our new family.
We are so blessed!
I was unable to sleep the first two nights...not because I wasn't tired...but my body and mind would not settled down (hormones). I remember thinking how crazy it was that I had been awake for three days...and was feeling tired but not tired all at once.
Nursing did not come easy. We received help from the amazing lactation specialist at the hospital and the nurses...nothing really prepared me for how difficult and stressful it could be.
I struggled with it for weeks.
One very vivid moment was on our second night at the hospital, when we could not wake or arouse Lindsay. It was time to feed her and we could not wake her up. Mike and I called the nurse's station for help. No one came. After 10 minutes we called again...still no one came and we were beginning to panic. She was breathing...but was in a real deep sleep...which I now understand some newborns do. As brand new parents...what did we know. We undressed her and were trying all kinds of things...finally Mike stepped out to get someone to help us...she finally woke up with the help from the nurse...but that fear will never leave me.
The exhaustion was immense...but the joy and elation erased the distress from the exhaustion.
The day arrived that we could bring her home.
Leaving the safe confinement of the hospital was a bit unsettling...nurses were not going to be a phone call away.
The drive home from the hospital was so tense. Mike and I were aware of every bump in the road and every car around us...now that I think about it...we were so funny! We wanted nothing to harm our new, perfect girl.
We loved introducing Lindsay to our dog Terra. Mike brought a few of the Lindsay's scented hospital receiving blankets home for Terra to sniff, prior to her arrival.
Terra became her guardian and protector right away.
Terra slept right next to Lindsay's crib from day one. Without any prompting from Mike or I.
Dog's instincts are amazing.
Mike and I were both on edge, nervous, sleep deprived and excited...all at once.
It took some time to get into a groove and build our confidence as parents.
My mom arrived from Texas the day after we came home from the hospital. She came and helped every day for the first four weeks.
Grammy (that's what we refer to her as) would come to the house when Mike left for work in the morning and she would bow out when Mike returned each evening.
She cooked, cleaned, did laundry, shopped, let me nap in the afternoon...and held my hand that first month. I truly do not know what life would have been like had she not been there.
We both sobbed the day she left. Sad to see that special time come to an end, and grateful for the special bonding experience between a grandmother, mother, daughter and granddaughter.
Mike and I did realize through those first weeks that babies are very durable and forgiving.
The visits, gifts, meal deliveries, phone calls, and cards carried us through.
People were so generous and thoughtful.
We were blown away by every one's kindness and generosity.
Children bring a special kind of joy to each family;
a renewal of hope and a brightened sense of what the future holds.
Fast forward to today. Our girl is six years old. Thriving in every possible way.
Bringing us overwhelming love.
We love you beyond words Lindsay Jane.
April 2012
xoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoox












No comments:
Post a Comment