![]() |
| Lindsay meeting Kendal for the first time. |
A friend of mine who has a daughter that just turned one, wrote the birth story of her daughter. Which I read and loved! What an amazing idea!
So on the eve of Kendal's 4th Birthday, I write her birth story.
Kendal's Birth Story
It was a rainy Saturday night, four weeks before Kendal was due.
Our next door neighbor's post college aged son was having a party.
It was loud.
I don't do well with loud.
I was stressed and could not fall asleep.
I started having some tightening and cramping around 9pm.
Party still raging...stress.
I layed in bed, Mike watching TV in the living room, not at all phased by the annoying post college party taking place next door.
Figures.
My cramping and tightening continued. I started to worry.
My cramping and tightening was beginning to follow a pattern.
Ummm...party still raging + husband not at all phased.
If I had gone into labor with Lindsay I would have known perhaps what this was.
Well, since Lindsay was a planned c-section, there was no labor.
Was I in labor?
The question began rolling through my mind.
More stress, yes it was four weeks until my 2nd c-section.
I timed the cramping.
Every 10 minutes.
Still not sure if that was something to worry about.
Party still raging.
FINALLY at midnight, I'd decided to tell my husband I was worried.
He had fallen asleep on the couch.
I paced the floor in the living room, not wanting to wake him up.
Why did I not want to wake him...dumb!
Oh...party beginning to mellow...sort of.
Mike woke up all irritated, asking me what the heck I was doing?
Pacing.
I told him my concern, he was not quite awake yet, and not very nice or concerned.
After coming out of his dreamy state, he asked if we should go to the hospital.
I told him the tightening was coming regularly.
I was in no pain at all, just uncomfortable.
We decided to call my aunt to come stay with Lindsay so we could head to the hospital.
My aunt arrived in 15 minutes.
God Bless Her.
Thank God for family living in the same town.
Mike and I headed out into the rain. I had already packed my bag.
Can't quite remember what prompted me to do that, but it was packed.
I was in my pajamas.
I thought they'd tell me I was fine and send me home.
We arrived on the labor and delivery floor.
Some nurses asked why we were there.
They were a bit bothered.
In other words, not very welcoming.
I was sent to a room with a bunch of beds.
The room I was in prior to Lindsay's planned c-section.
I changed into the lovely blue gown.
The nurse came in, and casually said "So, what's going on"?
I was so irritated by her tone. Which of course I filled my husband's ear about later.
He told me to calm down.
I explained my situation.
She wanted to do an exam.
Not. So. Pleasant.
She then confirmed I was two centimeters dilated.
She (still not liking her AT ALL) went to call my doctor.
My doctor was on vacation.
Ugh!
Not sure if I should worry or not.
I was exactly 36 weeks, that very day.
My situation was complicated.
I had a c-section with Lindsay due to my tachycardia
(she was breech anyway, so I would have had one regardless).
The medication they give you to slow or stop labor, speeds up your heart rate.
I was not a candidate for that.
By this time, they had me hooked up to the monitor, which was not cooperating.
The nurse kept coming in and making my lay different ways.
They needed to start an IV.
Never easy to get an IV into my arm.
Ever.
Nurse #1 - Tried 3x with no luck.
The last try of hers she hit a nerve in my thumb that almost make me deliver right then.
They called the experts.
Not sure where she came from.
But nurse #2 had success on the first try.
Thank God.
My contractions were still coming regularly, I was still in shock I was having contractions.
Heck, I was still in shock I was even there.
At 4am the nurse came in to say they would be delivering my baby in a few hours.
Huh?
Well, who were we going to call at 4am?
Mike and I sat there stunned.
I was very stressed at that point, mostly about Lindsay.
Here, I left her when it was pouring rain.
She would wake up and I would not be there.
Typing those words right now puts a lump in my throat.
My heart was breaking.
I left my baby at home.
Would she be okay?
She certainly was going to wonder where I was.
I had NEVER been away from her, not a single night.
Ugh!
But, I had to switch gears and prepare myself for the birth of our second daughter.
Was she going to be okay?
Was it too early for her to come?
The nurses said she should be fine.
She was 36 weeks.
I still was very concerned.
I still was very concerned.
The doctor who was going to perform my c-section arrived at 6am.
I'm huge on first impressions...and she did not fare well.
She was right up there with the lame ass nurse they gave me.
I'm huge on first impressions...and she did not fare well.
She was right up there with the lame ass nurse they gave me.
She was no Dr. Naghi.
I LOVE DR. NAGHI!
She introduced herself.
Not warm.
Not reassuring at all!
She was annoyed to be woken up as the on-call doctor.
At 4am.
At 4am.
I could tell.
She basically introducted herself and left.
The anesthesiologist arrived.
He was lovely.
I discussed with him the issues I had with my prior c-section
(guess you'll have to read that when I write Lindsay's Birth Story).
Again, he was lovely.
Next thing I knew, we were headed down the hall to the surgery room.
Wasn't really stressed about the surgery part.
Still sad about Lindsay.
They prepped me.
Mike arrived in his scrubs.
Insensitive, rude doctor
Mike arrived in his scrubs.
Insensitive, rude doctor
delivered Kendal at 6:59am.
She weighed 6 lbs exactly.
C-sections are FAST!
I heard her cry.
Whew, that was good.
I asked Mike if she was okay.
He said he thought so.
The nurse came over and said Kendal looked good and that her breathing was fine.
Music to my ears.
Mike left the surgery room to go to the nursery with Kendal.
Yes, I was left by myself.
Alone.
That part kinda stinks!
That part kinda stinks!
It was fine, women are strong!
The doctor never said congratulations, never said I was doing fine during surgery, never said anything to me.
Silence.
It was beyond insensitive and rude.
It was beyond insensitive and rude.
She just sewed me up and left.
I was really upset about that.
Still am.
But, I had a healthy baby girl.
Mike called my family.
My dad and Kathy were there at some point.
The rest of the day I was really Groggy.
I felt nauseous.
In the recovery room they gave me medication for that.
Then something else on top of that.
Then I got itchy, so they gave me something else.
Truly the next thing I knew it was 4pm.
I was still REALLY GROGGY.
9 hours later.
I was in a room.
My friend Alison was there, along with my brother and his wife Alina.
The nurse brought Kendal to me.
The first time I saw her was at 4pm.
9 hours after delivery.
I was so out of it and shaky I couldn't really hold her.
I looked her over as well as I could,
making sure she was OK and taking in her sweet little face.
I was so shaky I thought I was going to drop her,
and I could hardly keep my eyes open.
Such an aweful feeling.
making sure she was OK and taking in her sweet little face.
I was so shaky I thought I was going to drop her,
and I could hardly keep my eyes open.
Such an aweful feeling.
I handed her to my sister-in-law.
Thanks Alina!
I slept more.
Everyone left at some point except Mike.
Finally by 9pm I came out of my stupor.
Of course I was placed in a room right across from the nurses station.
Noisy.
I don't do well with noise.
I was going to be in the hospital for a few days.
Did they REALLY think they were going to keep me in that room,
across from the nurses station,
for three to five days???
REALLY.
I sweet talked the very nice nurse, into checking on possibly upgrading my room...
I explained my NOISE issues and reminder her of how long I was going to be there.
She was all about finding me an upgrade.
I explained my NOISE issues and reminder her of how long I was going to be there.
She was all about finding me an upgrade.
I was happy I left all the cranky folks on the labor and delivery floor.
Good riddens.
They lovely nurse found me a suite.
No joke.
A huge corner room (same one I had when Lindsay was born).
Quiet.
Spacious.
Truly, it would fit at least 10 visitors comfortably.
Couch.
Chairs.
Awesome.
When you have a c-section, you are not allowed to get out of bed for 24 hours.
If I was going to be stuck in bed, it needed to be calm and quiet.
Now it was.
They brought Kendal to me.
She was sooooooo tiny.
And bony.
I nursed her and snuggled with her.
I was still worried about Lindsay, but by that time Estela was at our house.
She truly is the next best thing to mom.
My Aunt Camille is fabulous, and is like a second mom to me...but our nanny Estela spent a lot of time with Lindsay...so I knew Lindsay wouldn't be scared while Estela was there.
My girl was safe and taken care of.
The next few days in the hospital were full of visitors, except Lindsay.
I chose not to have her come to the hospital.
I REALLY regret that.
I missed her SO MUCH!
I longed for her.
I longed for her.
Mike and I discussed how we would handle this, prior to my giving birth.
I was so worried about her seeing me in an unfamiliar setting
and then having to leave without me.
and then having to leave without me.
I was concerned about her having major separation anxiety.
Perhaps I was the one who couldn't handle it.
I pictured her there, so happy to see me and her new sister,
but I was so fearful about her reaction when it was time to leave.
Without me.
Without me.
It was a long four days.
I cried for her.
I had such guilt.
When they cleared Kendal and I to be discharged I was elated!
When they cleared Kendal and I to be discharged I was elated!
We arrived at home that Wednesday afternoon and Lindsay was napping.
That was nice, because I got myself and Kendal settled a bit.
The top picture on this post is of the two sisters meeting for the first time.
Lindsay looked at her, and me, and her, and me.
She cried a little when she saw me.
Not sure what to think.
Not sure what to think.
I cried too.
A few minutes passed.
A few minutes passed.
Then Lindsay said "Put it back".
Ummm...meaning put Kendal back in my tummy.
We laughed so hard.
Kendal's arrival was planned, but did not turn out the way I envisioned it.
I was so happy it wasn't my first birthing experience...
because that would have been horrible.
because that would have been horrible.
I had two daughters.
Sisters.
I was so in love.
So happy.
So thankful.
So blessed.
I wouldn't trade it for the world.
Kendal Christine made our family complete!
There is nothing that changes your life more than having a child.
It's like wearing your heart on the outside of your body.
The love is beyond comprehension.
Kendal Christine, you blessed us the second you came into the world.
You're our little ray of sunshine!
We love you Moosey Roo!
xoxoxoxo
Kendal Christine made our family complete!
There is nothing that changes your life more than having a child.
It's like wearing your heart on the outside of your body.
The love is beyond comprehension.
Kendal Christine, you blessed us the second you came into the world.
You're our little ray of sunshine!
We love you Moosey Roo!
xoxoxoxo
![]() |
| Kendal-7 months old-first Halloween |
![]() |
| Christmas 2008 |
| Lindsay's 3rd Birthday - Kendal - 21 months (almost the exact age Lindsay was when Kendal was born) |
| Kendal's 2nd Birthday |
| Kendal's 3rd Birthday |
| Kendal - 3 years old |
![]() |
| Kendal 3 1/2 |
![]() |
| Christmas 2011 |
| Kendal - 4 years old |












No comments:
Post a Comment